Entitled Jhoomkar (which means to dance), the showcase will draw on students and teachers at the academy, as well as their one professional male dancer, Kumar Sarveshan.
Through their interaction with Jazzart, the
"The production is a cele-|bration of all of that," said school principal and Jhoomkar director Darveshan Rama.
Each of the teachers have choreographed pieces for |the 35 dancers taking part in Jhoomkar, and they will also show off their "Bollywood" skills as well as bring in contemporary dance styles, Rama said.
"It sounds like a mishmash, but we're a team of teachers and choreographers and each of us has quite a different style and that's what was endearing to us, that which is unique," said Rama.
Most of them used the starting point of specific |music pieces or a look that |they wanted to achieve, |but there is also everyone's favourite piece which reflects |a celebration of 20 years of freedom in
"Reviewing the past, and kind of celebrating freedom," explained Rama.
The 35 dancers range in |age from 11 to 40-something and consist of 19 students |who have not yet completed |the basic training, 12 senior dancers who have, and "the oldies": dancers, Rama explains, (including herself) who have been with the school for several years.
Other than Sarveshan, all of the dancers are either at school or have jobs, so the dancing is not what they do all the time, but it is what they love doing.
Jhoomkar is not only a celebration of the school's birthday though, but also of the passing of the baton to a new generation.
The school's founder
"It's a celebration of the school going into the future.
"A time for us to celebrate revival and renewal, while paying tribute to all who |have come before and made |it possible for the present to |be as it is," said Rama.
lJhoomkar is on at |the
Most Popular Stories
- Desktop, Laptop Setups Still King
- 'Lucy's' Super Powers Tops 'Hercules' at Box Office
- Four DC Comics Properties Brought to TV Get Comic-Con Event
- Nissan Profits Rise on Growth in U.S., China
- Shania Twain's Vegas residency ending after 110 shows
- 'Sharknado' Sequel Has Bite and Lots of Laughs
- Plan to Simplify 2015 Health Renewals May Backfire
- UFC Fight Night Sees Robbie Lawler Win Unanimous Decision
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy ' Sequel Slated for 2017
- Pending Home Sales Slipped in June