In a report the analysts also stated that over 50 per cent of 170 million people living in the country are either homeless or without adequate housing.
In an attempt to reduce the deficit, the federal government had launched the
"The lack of the mortgage market has been a long standing issue in
The NMRC's core aim is to provide affordable mortgages for Nigerians but with the high single digit interest rates, the masses are still sceptical.
"What I think is the number one issue is still affordability. The fact that interest rates are still very high so even when we have access to a mortgage at the lower end of the market, there is still an issue of affordability," he said.
Addressing the issue of affordability at the launch of the refinance company, the Coordination Minister of the Economy/ Minister of Finance, Dr
"It's the lower end where there is a huge demand for housing and where the NMRC ideally would have the most impact in bringing homes to the masses and that is where there is the highest affordability issue," Okoye argued.
With the elections scheduled for next year, the 14 states where the NMRC would pilot have promised to make land laws less stringent.
"It is in their interest especially as we are entering into an election year, it's a very strong vote winner to provide housing for the masses and it's also in their interest as it shows positive action from their part," Okoye added.
Most Popular Stories
- National Retail Federation Reduces Sales Forecast
- Hispanic Leader Goes the Extra Mile
- Xavier Gutierrez Appointed to Bank Board
- Ted Cruz: Why Did FAA Ban Flights to Israel?
- Honda' s Accord Plug-in Hybrid Is a Fuel Miser
- Morgan Stanley Ponies Up $275 Million to Settle SEC Charges
- Long-term Strengths Emerge in U.S. Economy
- Weekly Jobless Claims Drop to Lowest Level in 8 Years
- Stop-Start Engines Save Gas, Reduce Emissions
- Risks of Layoffs Becoming Rarer in U.S.