A one of a kind portrait of education and peace activist
The painting called "Girl Reading (
The money from the sale will go to benefit the
During a preview of the sale on Thursday,
In 2012, Malala was 15 years old when she was shot in the head by the
In the two years since her shooting, she has not backed down. Malala has been honored with awards and praise from people around the world and has also been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize.
During a meeting between
"You saw me two times only and you just drew a sketch. So I just would like to know like how you did this painting only by looking at a sketch or taking some pictures. Because I was not there when you were painting it," Malala asked.
Yeo explained, "The sketches we did and the photographs were all very useful and important. But the other thing that's important is spending a bit of time with somebody and getting a sense of their personality in a way that informs the whole mood of the painting and what you are saying with it. In a way that is the most important thing of all."
In the painting Malala is reading a book and the name Malalai of Maiwand is written on a page. Malala explained the significance of the name Malalai.
"Malalai in Maiwand fought for the freedom of the people of
"Which is the freedom of our era, I suppose," said Yeo.
Most Popular Stories
- Stop-Start Engines Save Gas, Reduce Emissions
- Shia LaBeouf Plea Deal, Alcoholism Treatment
- Ohio State Band Chief Fired After Probe
- Hispanic Leader Goes the Extra Mile
- Morgan Stanley Ponies Up $275 Million to Settle SEC Charges
- Ricky Martin Joins 'The Voice ... Mexico'
- Jennifer Lopez, Pitbull to Perform at Fashion Rocks
- Ukraine Says Russians Firing Across the Border
- Ford Q2 Net Profit up 6 Percent
- U.S. Weighs Refugee Status for Immigrant Kids