The Public Affairs Director of NCC, Mr Tony Ojobo, said in
Ojobo said that the commission had a focused leadership and staff who were ensuring that the regulatory body was moving to enviable heights in
He said that the Executive Vice Chairman of NCC, Dr
According to him, the agenda also includes compliance monitoring and enforcement as well as consolidation.
"All of these have been the drive that have taken the commission to where it is today as the
"We have people from other regulatory agencies in
Ojobo said that the agenda was geared toward ensuring that the global community always recognises
He noted that the Juwah-led five point agenda had made it possible for the cost of Short Messaging Service (SMS) to be reduced from N15 to N4 per message.
Ojobo said that the commission had also reduced interconnect rates, resulting in reduction in call rates and other services offered by the operators.
"In the area of compliance monitoring and enforcement, within this time, we have had the Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) gazetted; that has given us the force to actually bite.
"Breaches in the KPIs have led to sanctioning of the service providers. Sanctions are always very huge; they are usually not pleasant for the operators to pay.
"So to some degree, the KPIs have brought some kind of sanity to the industry.
"It has brought some discipline in the industry and made operators more accountable and responsive to consumers' complaints," he said.
The telecoms umpire was on Saturday recognised by the Beacon of Information and Communications Technology (BoICT) as the " Regulator of the Year." (NAN)
Most Popular Stories
- Hernandez lawyer: Pats Records Dispute Resolved
- Congress Leaving Town as Deadlines Loom
- Oregon Voters to Decide on Recreational Pot
- 4th Circuit Upholds Obamacare Subsidies
- Oregon to Vote on Recreational Marijuana
- Fiat, Renault Strike Deal on New Light Vehicle
- A's Agree to 10-Year Lease to Stay in Oakland
- Senate, House Locking Horns on Border Funds
- LinkedIn to Buy Ad Tech Company Bizo for $175 Million
- Jeter, Bauer Give Fox a Strong Week in TV Ratings