The Dow Jones industrial average rose 87 points, or 0.5 per cent, to close at 16,448 Monday.
The Standard & Poor's 500 index rose six points, or 0.3 per cent, to 1,869. The Nasdaq composite edged down a point to 4,074. The index erased most of a 61-point loss.
Pfizer rose 4 per cent after renewing its push to buy rival drugmaker
Bond prices fell. The yield on the 10-year Treasury note rose to 2.70 per cent.
Most Popular Stories
- National Retail Federation Reduces Sales Forecast
- Hispanic Leader Goes the Extra Mile
- Xavier Gutierrez Appointed to Bank Board
- Long-term Strengths Emerge in U.S. Economy
- Honda' s Accord Plug-in Hybrid Is a Fuel Miser
- Morgan Stanley Ponies Up $275 Million to Settle SEC Charges
- Weekly Jobless Claims Drop to Lowest Level in 8 Years
- Stop-Start Engines Save Gas, Reduce Emissions
- Naya Rivera and Ryan Dorsey Are Married
- Menendez: No Arms for Iraq Without Intel