A new initiative involving the
The Core Infrastructure Initiative will be funded by donations from vendors, to contribute to open source projects that are in the critical path for core computing and Internet functions. So far around
Supporters include Amazon Web Services,
The aim of the initiative is to provide funding to open source projects in critical areas which are in need of assistance, while allowing the developers to continue their work under the community norms that have made open source so successful.
The first focus for the initiative will be to support the OpenSSL project, where faulty coding resulted in the HeartBleed flaw which has cost millions of dollars to remedy.
Despite OpenSSL securing around two-thirds of the world's websites, the development group behind it only received an average of
"We are expanding the work we already do for the Linux kernel to other projects that may need support," said
"Maintaining the health of the community projects that produce software critical to the security and safety of Internet commerce is in everyone's interest," said Professor
Most Popular Stories
- Shia LaBeouf Plea Deal, Alcoholism Treatment
- Stop-Start Engines Save Gas, Reduce Emissions
- Ohio State Band Chief Fired After Probe
- Hispanic Leader Goes the Extra Mile
- Ukraine Says Russians Firing Across the Border
- Ford Q2 Net Profit up 6 Percent
- Jennifer Lopez, Pitbull to Perform at Fashion Rocks
- Ricky Martin Joins 'The Voice ... Mexico'
- U.S. Weighs Refugee Status for Immigrant Kids
- Morgan Stanley Ponies Up $275 Million to Settle SEC Charges