Semiconductor stocks are turning in some of the market's worst performances in mid-day trading, with the Philadelphia Semiconductor Index plunging by 2.7%. The index is giving back ground after trending higher over the past two weeks.
Considerable weakness is also visible among biotechnology stocks, as reflected by the 2.1% loss being posted by the NYSE Arca Biotechnology Index. ImmunoGen (IMGN) is falling sharply after reporting a wider than expected first quarter loss.
Housing stocks have also come under significant selling pressure on the day, dragging the Philadelphia Housing Sector Index down by 1.7%. Building product makers
Networking, airline, retail, and steel stocks are also seeing notable weakness, while gold stocks are among the few groups bucking the downtrend amid an increase by the price of the precious metal.
The major averages have recently climbed off their worst levels of the day but remain firmly in negative territory. The Dow is down 128.95 points or 0.8% at 16,372.70, the Nasdaq is down 58.14 points or 1.4% at 4,090.19 and the S&P 500 is down 12.83 points or 0.7%.
Most Popular Stories
- National Retail Federation Reduces Sales Forecast
- Hispanic Leader Goes the Extra Mile
- Xavier Gutierrez Appointed to Bank Board
- Long-term Strengths Emerge in U.S. Economy
- Honda' s Accord Plug-in Hybrid Is a Fuel Miser
- Morgan Stanley Ponies Up $275 Million to Settle SEC Charges
- Stop-Start Engines Save Gas, Reduce Emissions
- Weekly Jobless Claims Drop to Lowest Level in 8 Years
- Ted Cruz: Why Did FAA Ban Flights to Israel?
- Naya Rivera and Ryan Dorsey Are Married