Households will have to dig deeper into their pockets to buy some foodstuffs and other commodities following an increase in prices of most items in the greater
A kilo of Irish potatoes now costs between Rwf250 and Rwf300 in
A kilo of tomatoes costs Rwf700 from Rwf600 and onions go for Rwf600 in Nyarugenge market, from Rwf500 last week. A big-sized pawpaw is at Rwf1,000, up from Rwf700. Sweet potatoes cost Rwf150 a kilo from Rwf120 in Kinigi and Musanze markets. A cluster of sweet bananas costs Rwf800, up from Rwf600. A sack of charcoal is at between Rwf8,000 and 11,000 in Gakenke, Kinigi and Musanze markets from Rwf7,000 recently. It is at Rwf7,000 in Rugando, Kicukiro and Kabeza markets, up from Rwf6,000 recently.
Suppliers and traders attributed the increase to the the rainy season, which they say has led to a hike in transport fees or causes delays that affect supplies.
"The rain has made some up-country roads almost impassable, leading transporters to double their charges," Yvonne Bandore Ingabire, a trader in Nyarugenge market, said.
However, beef is unchanged at Rwf2,000 per kilo, while a kilo of goat's meat costs Rwf2,500. That of fresh fish is at between Rwf2,500 and Rwf3,000, and a tray of eggs goes for Rwf2,500 in Nyarugenge, Kimironko and Nyamirambo markets. Dry beans cost Rw500 at a kilo, while that of fresh beans goes for Rwf1,000 in Kimironko and Rugando markets, down from Rwf800 at the beginning of this month. Peas cost Rwf1,300 per kilogramme in Kimironko, Nyarugenge and Kicukiro markets, a decline from Rwf1,500. It, however, costs Rwf800 in Base and Gakenke markets.
Most Popular Stories
- National Retail Federation Reduces Sales Forecast
- Honda' s Accord Plug-in Hybrid Is a Fuel Miser
- Hernandez lawyer: Pats Records Dispute Resolved
- Social Media Startups That Pay You to Post
- Female Business Owners Still Face Gender Gap
- Congress Leaving Town as Deadlines Loom
- Amazon Fire Phone Improves on Familiar: Review
- Oregon Voters to Decide on Recreational Pot
- 4th Circuit Upholds Obamacare Subsidies
- Oregon to Vote on Recreational Marijuana