Twitter earnings disappoint investors -->
The shares closed down 24 percent at
The figures "show signs of slowing user growth and engagementů suggesting that Twitter may be finding it more difficult to capture a more mainstream audience", said Morgan Stanley analyst
"The company did a poor job explaining how and why the lower user growth was a temporary phenomenon," Rohan added.
A similar warning came from
"We now know how
The first earnings report since Twitter's vaunted public offering in November offered a cold dose of reality for the company.
The results showed revenues in the quarter that ended
But the number of worldwide users was up just nine million from the figure of È million when Twitter went public in November, suggesting only modest growth at a time when investors were looking for a surge.
Twitter said the loss for the year widened to
"Twitter management should be focused on fixing the authenticity and credibility of the Twitter platform, just like
Sandler said he remained among those "who believe that Twitter is one of the best-positioned companies in mobile, and on its way to one billion users".
Twitter chief executive
"It will be a combination of changes introduced over the course of the year that will change the slope of the growth curve," Costolo said.
The company also planned to get more visually engaging with pictures and video. The service's format of sharing in real-time with short text messages did not lend itself easily to traditional ad formats, so the company needed to get creative with marketing messages, according to
Most Popular Stories
- Top Hispanic Tech Companies Push for the Top
- 5 Notable Hispanic Technology Executives
- Taco Bell Rings Up Breakfast Menu
- Russia, Crimea Discuss Referendum
- California Establishes Center for Coffee Study
- China Urges Malaysia Flight Emergency Response
- For Obama, a Last Stab at Improving Ties with Capitol Hill
- Visa, MasterCard Team Up to Focus on Payment Security
- Sunday Starts Daylight Saving Time
- 'Holy grail of guitars' OM-45 Deluxe Available in in NY Auction