Providing outstanding education and research for this dynamic global field is the
Masters, who started her career as a commodities trader with
"These scholars, who are studying to be experts in the field, will no doubt return to the workforce and greatly contribute in their individual capacities," Masters said.
She added that the center provides relevant and interesting course work as well as significant engagement with the local business community. "All of those things were what we were looking to achieve, and they're all happening."
Today's business students are motivated by a diversity of opportunity and the ability to work on an array of projects that combine different skill sets, Masters said.
"The commodities space offers all of that," she said. "It involves underlying markets, which are dynamic and volatile. It involves technology and technology development. It involves the deployment of significant amounts of capital and risk. So you can hone skills that relate to markets, engineering and technology, and business management."
Because commodities deal with "real materials" -- such as oil, grain and metals -- students can readily identify their value in society, Masters noted.
"If you're involved in generating power that's going to serve a community, which in turn drives business growth, job generation and relative competitiveness -- all of those things have a real and tangible output," she said. "That is definitely what makes commodities different relative to some of the more traditional market activities that aren't as tangible."
TNS 30TagarumaMar-140207-4630295 30TagarumaMar
Most Popular Stories
- 5 Notable Hispanic Technology Executives
- Top Hispanic Tech Companies Push for the Top
- Russia, Crimea Discuss Referendum
- Visa, MasterCard Team Up to Focus on Payment Security
- China Urges Malaysia Flight Emergency Response
- Sunday Starts Daylight Saving Time
- Three Americans on Missing Malaysia Airlines Plane: State Department
- Samsung Launches Milk Music
- For Obama, a Last Stab at Improving Ties with Capitol Hill
- Taco Bell Rings Up Breakfast Menu