The number of new foreclosure cases in
There were 3,430 foreclosure cases initiated in state court last year, or 3 percent more than the 3,326 cases the year before, according to the latest statistics from the state Judiciary.
In December there were 179 new cases, representing the second-lowest figure last year after 178 in November. The high for any month last year was 450 in March, and volume had generally been on the decline since then.
Some local foreclosure attorneys suggest that
An apparent reason that last year's tally of new foreclosure cases wasn't lower than 2012's is that
This requirement, which took effect in mid-2012, forced lenders and attorneys to come up with new procedures that took some time to implement. In the three months immediately following the new rule, the number of new cases plummeted to between 58 and 74 a month, down from 458 in
For 2014, year-over-year comparisons of new foreclosure lawsuits should be more meaningful and provide a clearer picture of what appears to be an ongoing recovery.
Most Popular Stories
- Dmytro Firtash, Ukrainian Billionaire, Arrested in Vienna
- Obama, Ukraine Discuss Russian Incursion in Crimea
- Koch Brothers Step up Anti-Obamacare Campaign
- Obama's Overtime Initiative Praised, Condemned
- FDIC Sues Big Banks Over Rate Manipulation
- Liberty Media Drops Sirius Bid
- Republicans Warn Obama on Immigration
- Uli Hoeness, Bayern Munich President, Gets Prison for Tax Evasion
- West Readies Harsh Sanctions Against Russia
- Calumet Photo Files for Bankruptcy