Feb. 07--DOVER -- Economic Development Director Dan Barufaldi on Thursday provided updates on development projects and emphasized his support for implementing a Tax Increment Financing district in the Garrison City ahead of the Business and Industrial Development Authority meeting.
The City Council was scheduled to hold a workshop meeting to discuss a completed feasibility study on a TIF Wednesday, but that meeting was canceled due to inclement weather. Barufaldi said he is scheduled to speak at next week's session, and will give a presentation laying out the benefits of a TIF, and expressed his support at the board meeting.
"I think that both with the consultant's report and the feasibility study and answering any outstanding questions, it's pretty clear to me that this is a no-brainer," Barufaldi said. "We were able to see what people have done right, what people didn't do so well."
Barufaldi said he has looked into safeguards used by other communities with TIF districts and he is confident Dover will put forward the best possible setup. Barufaldi said he would make these points to the DBIDA board before next week's workshop.
"I want to tell my people that this is a widely-used and successful economic development tool," Barufaldi said. "It's an investment in public infrastructure that allows development to proceed. It's important to keep our momentum going in Dover."
Also on the agenda was a discussion on the proposed Mast Road site for a second economic development park. The City Council approved a second business park as part of the Capital Improvements Program in January. The first park, located on Venture Drive, generates approximately $497,000 to the city annually. Barufaldi said there are no new developments regarding the site as of now, with the city still waiting on the results of a water quality study on wellheads at the location.
Last year, the city commissioned a water quality study on the Griffin Well and the aquifer after discovering contaminants from a former metal recycling company in Madbury entering the ground near the well. Although the well's contaminant level is currently at acceptable standards, more stringent requirements from the Environmental Protection Agency could force the city to shut down that well.
"We're still waiting on determination on the wellhead sites that have to be moved for the environmental reasons," Barufaldi said. "Until we get a definition of where those sites are going to be, it's going to be difficult to know what we can do."
Barufaldi said the city continues to look into possible alternative sites.
(c)2014 the Foster's Daily Democrat (Dover, N.H.)
Visit the Foster's Daily Democrat (Dover, N.H.) at www.fosters.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services