CNN said it apologized for including a Belarus World War II statue on its list of the world's ugliest monuments.
"CNN apologizes for the unintended offense caused by an article from a contributor that was intended to be a humorous look at monumental architecture worldwide," a statement reads.
The statue at the Courage Monument in Brest is at the site of the first major fighting between
The site is a symbol of Soviet resistance during the war.
The author of the CNN article wrote that the soldier looked like he was "about to thump the West into submission before hurling
The CNN report led to outrage in
"It's a slap in our face ... and everyone who fought here,"
CNN said it withdrew the story.
"We recognize that the Courage Monument carries deep and significant symbolism in honoring the soldiers who gave their lives defending their nation," the CNN statement says.
Most Popular Stories
- Chobani Counters Competition With Expanded Lineup
- Reid: Bundy Backers Are 'Domestic Terrorists'
- Ex-BP Employee Settles Insider Trading Charges
- Venture Investments in U.S. Highest Since 2001
- Colo. Cleantech Program Calls for Entrepreneurs
- Unemployment Rates Down, Job Gains Up in March
- Hiring Fair for Veterans, Job Seekers
- Recordings Reveal a Not-So-Nice Martinez: Editorial
- VW Beetle Marks 65th Year in U.S.
- The Biebs Crashes Drake's Release Party