CNN said it apologized for including a Belarus World War II statue on its list of the world's ugliest monuments.
"CNN apologizes for the unintended offense caused by an article from a contributor that was intended to be a humorous look at monumental architecture worldwide," a statement reads.
The statue at the Courage Monument in Brest is at the site of the first major fighting between
The site is a symbol of Soviet resistance during the war.
The author of the CNN article wrote that the soldier looked like he was "about to thump the West into submission before hurling
The CNN report led to outrage in
"It's a slap in our face ... and everyone who fought here,"
CNN said it withdrew the story.
"We recognize that the Courage Monument carries deep and significant symbolism in honoring the soldiers who gave their lives defending their nation," the CNN statement says.
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- FDIC Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Banks Allegedly Hurt by Libor Scandal
- Chinese e-Commerce Giant Alibaba Gears for IPO in U.S.
- Some California Cities Seeking Water Independence
- Quiznos Files for Chapter 11