Cook told The Wall Street Journal that the maker of iPads, iPhones, iPods and Macintosh computers was 'surprised' by a drop in share price triggered by the quarter results and wanted to be 'opportunistic'.
Including the shares bought after the release of earnings results on
Record iPhone and iPad sales pushed Apple quarterly revenue to a new high but shares tumbled over concerns of weaker profits ahead in fierce mobile gadget markets.
The tech giant reported net income of
The profit was the same as Apple reported in the same quarter a year earlier when its revenue was
The stock buyback was said to be part of a previously announced plan by Apple to return
Cook said the move indicated that Apple is betting on itself. Activist investor
Apple shares were down about eight per cent the day after release of the quarterly earnings report.
Icahn has put out word that he has invested some
On the other hand, Apple decision to remove a programme used to send and receive Bitcoins from its
"I'm switching," Silbert, chief executive officer of
Most Popular Stories
- Koch Brothers Step up Anti-Obamacare Campaign
- FDIC Sues Big Banks Over Rate Manipulation
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- Stocks Close Lower Ahead of Crimea Vote
- Vybz Kartel Convicted of Murder
- U.S. Consumer Sentiment Falls in Early March
- Is Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 in Andaman Sea?
- Jittery Investors Dumping Russian Stocks
- Ulta Shares Look Good on Strong Q4
- FDIC Accuses Big Banks of Fraud, Conspiracy