The gains came after encouraging news on the U.S. job market and Disney and other companies reported solid earnings.
The Dow Jones industrial average jumped 188 points, or 1.2 percent, to close at 15,628 Thursday.
The Standard & Poor's 500 index rose 21 points, also 1.2 percent, to 1,773. It was the best gain for both indexes since
The Nasdaq composite gained 45 points, or 1.2 percent, to 4,057.
Disney jumped 5 percent after the media company reported earnings that beat analysts' estimates, thanks partly to its box-office hit "Frozen."
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- Quiznos Files for Chapter 11
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- Vybz Kartel Convicted of Murder
- Is Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 in Andaman Sea?
- Koch Brothers Step up Anti-Obamacare Campaign
- U.S. Consumer Sentiment Falls in Early March
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet