The RESOLUTION System, based on PathoGenetix’s proprietary Genome Sequence Scanning™ (GSS™) technology, enables pathogen serotype identification and strain typing in just five hours, directly from complex mixtures such as enriched food and clinical samples. The bacterial strain information provided by the RESOLUTION System is comparable to pulsed field gel electrophoresis (PFGE), the current gold standard for pathogen typing in foodborne illness outbreak investigation and response.
Identifying the pathogen strain that is causing a foodborne illness outbreak is a critical step in defining the extent of the outbreak, determining the food involved, finding the original source of the contamination and defining the scope of a product recall. The ability of the RESOLUTION System to derive useful pathogen strain and serotype information directly from a complex mixture, and to shorten the time for pathogen typing to just five hours, could allow for quicker decisions affecting public health.
Current microbial identification techniques such as PFGE and whole genome sequencing (WGS) require a cultured isolate as input, and advanced, time-consuming laboratory processes for preparation and processing of food samples. Analysis of the patterns created by PFGE, or the extensive data generated by WGS, can be complex and add significantly to the time required to identify the pathogen strain and serotype. Because the PathoGenetix system is culture independent, and fully automated from sample preparation to final report, it has the potential to greatly reduce the time, complexity and skill-level required to identify foodborne pathogens in hospital and public health labs monitoring foodborne outbreaks.
Under a research plan outlined in the collaboration agreement, the
• Extraction and purification of high quality, high molecular weight bacterial DNA from complex mixtures such as enriched broths from food samples
• Subtyping of bacteria from complex samples without prior cultural isolation and preliminary characterization
• Processing of samples in 5 hours.
The research agreement also provides for
The fully automated RESOLUTION Microbial Genotyping System, including instrument, bioinformatics software and database, and pathogen-specific assays, will be commercially available in Q4 2014 for use in both food industry testing and public health foodborne illness outbreak investigations. This month PathoGenetix also shipped a RESOLUTION System to
About PathoGenetix™, Inc.
Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/FDA_PathoGenetix/bacterial_identification/prweb11547250.htm
Most Popular Stories
- Chobani Counters Competition With Expanded Lineup
- What to Expect From an Amazon Smartphone
- Asia Seeks Obama's Assurance Over Spats
- Coachella's Young Audience a Marketers Paradise
- Nevada Range Showdown Draws Armed Supporters
- Auto Parts Plant Opening in Pa., Jobs on Tap
- National Energy Boom Blurs Political Battle Lines
- Putin: No Blocks to Boosting Relations With West
- Clinton Sought GOP Support for Health Plan
- NASA's Space Station Robonaut Finally Getting Legs