Deloitte East Africa Tax Head Nikhil Hira said the launch of 4G will play a great role in not only increasing demand for data use but improving customer experience.
"The whole IT sector which includes software and hardware, personal computers and servers is taking off in a big way. We have seen major players coming into the market to set up big software labs and it is a good sign,"
In November last year,
The laboratory which was the first of its kind in
He says there is also a growing appetite by the young people to come up with new innovations and applications, hence creating a huge demand for the sector.
Despite the expected growth, the report showed that
"I believe the government is trying to put some effort on this considering the introduction of projects like laptops in primary schools. Of course if we have to take them across the country, the schools must have power, the required fibre cables for success in the project,"
Meanwhile on the use of mobile phones, the report indicated there was an increase in the use of instant messaging services like WhatsApp which is slowly overtaking the main Short Messaging Services (SMS).
However, revenues for SMS remained high; "new services are still SMS-based, to solve the lack of internet connections in non-urban areas. There is a growing trend towards the use of SMS by businesses and government agencies for effective communication,"
Globally SMSs are expected to generate more than Sh8.6 trillion in 2014, equivalent to approximately 50 times the total revenues from all Mobile Instant Messaging (MIM) services.
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- Quiznos Files for Chapter 11
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- Koch Brothers Step up Anti-Obamacare Campaign
- U.S. Consumer Sentiment Falls in Early March
- Is Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 in Andaman Sea?
- Vybz Kartel Convicted of Murder