The stock market had its best day of the year Thursday following encouraging news on the U.S. job market and solid earnings from Disney and other companies. The gains nearly erased steep losses from early in the week.
The Dow Jones industrial average gained 188.30 points, 1.2 percent, to 15,628.53.
The Standard & Poor's 500 index rose 21.79 points, or 1.2 percent, to close at 1,773.43.
The Nasdaq composite added 45.57 points, or 1.1 percent, to 4,057.12.
For the week so far:
The Dow is down 70.32 points, or 0.5 percent.
The S&P 500 is down 9.16 points, or 0.5 percent.
The Nasdaq is down 46.76 points, or 1.1 percent.
For the year so far:
The Dow is down 948.13 points, or 5.7 percent.
The S&P 500 is down 74.93 points, or 4.1 percent.
The Nasdaq is down 119.47 points, or 2.9 percent.
Most Popular Stories
- Crimean Referendum Violates International Law: Obama
- Social Media Can Help a Company's Credit Line
- Justin Bieber Loses Cool Over Selena Gomez
- Fuentes Makes NAHREP's Top 10 List
- Alfredo Ramos Martínez, Mexican Muralist, Symposium at Scripps
- Juanes Back to Singing About Love
- Hispanic Unemployment Eased in February
- 2 Million Long-term Jobless Have No Benefits
- Darrell Issa Apologizes to Elijah Cummings
- Boeing Freezes Nonunion Workers' Pensions