Production of Canon EOS SLR cameras began in 1987 with the EOS 650 35mm SLR Camera, at Canon Inc.’s
EOS, which stands for “Electro Optical System,” also carries the name of the Greek goddess of the dawn. Introduced in
Based on the key concepts of high-speed and ease of use the EOS-series 35mm SLR cameras, including the top-of-the-line professional-model EOS-1 camera released in 1989 and the popular compact, lightweight EOS Rebel introduced in 1990, continued to incorporate innovative technologies and gained acceptance from a wide range of users. As digital SLR cameras gained increasing popularity starting in 2000, Canon developed advanced technologies such as its proprietary CMOS sensors and high-performance DIGIC digital image processors, as well as an extensive lineup of EF lenses, in an effort to fulfill the company’s key concepts of high-speed, ease of use, and high image quality. Currently, Canon offers a broad product lineup that helps serve the needs of users of all skill levels.
Among the new Canon cameras that contributed to the realization of the 70-million-unit production milestone are the EOS 70D, featuring innovative Dual Pixel CMOS AF technology, and the EOS Rebel SL1, the world’s smallest and lightest digital SLR camera*, which combines a ground-breaking compact, lightweight body design with advanced basic performance.
EF lenses for Canon EOS-series interchangeable-lens cameras are also on track to realize a major milestone as cumulative production is scheduled to pass the 100-million-unit mark in 2014.
Based on its core optical technologies, Canon will continue to refine its diverse imaging technologies while striving to produce superb and reliable lenses and cameras that cater to the varying needs of photographers – from first time users to advanced amateurs and professionals – while contributing to expanding the culture of photographic and video imaging.
†Based on weekly patent counts issued by United States Patent and Trademark Office.
* Among digital SLR cameras which use APS-C size equivalent sensors. As of
For sales information/customer support:
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Koch Brothers Step up Anti-Obamacare Campaign
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- Quiznos Files for Chapter 11
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- FDIC Sues Big Banks Over Rate Manipulation
- Vybz Kartel Convicted of Murder
- U.S. Consumer Sentiment Falls in Early March