Our news editors obtained a quote from the research, "In this paper, we constructed dextran-coated ferric oxide NPs conjugated with specific anti-human epidermal growth factor receptor (HER2) aptamer and used them to induce magnetic hyperthermia in cultured cells. The specificity of the tagged NPs was determined by studying their effect relative to that of non-tagged NPs against two cell lines: human adenocarcinoma SK-BR3, overexpressing the HER2 receptor; and U-87 MG, a human glioblastoma epithelial cell line, not expressing HER2. In order to confirm the interaction of the tagged NPs with the cells we used, fluorescence microscopy and fluorescence-activated cell sorting analysis were performed. All of these experiments showed that the aptamer-tagged NPs were highly specific toward the HER2-expressing cells. In addition, a ninetyfold lower dose of the tagged NPs relative to that of the non-tagged NPs was needed to achieve similar to 50% cell killing by hyperthermia of the SK-BR3 cell line, while for the U-87 MG cells the viability level was close to 100%."
According to the news editors, the research concluded: "These results show that targeted NPs can be applied at substantially lower doses than non-targeted ones to achieve similar effects of hyperthermia, which should greatly limit the side effects of treatment."
For more information on this research see: Tumor-specific hyperthermia with aptamer-tagged superparamagnetic nanoparticles.
The news editors report that additional information may be obtained by contacting
Keywords for this news article include:
Our reports deliver fact-based news of research and discoveries from around the world. Copyright 2014, NewsRx LLC
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- Quiznos Files for Chapter 11
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- Koch Brothers Step up Anti-Obamacare Campaign
- U.S. Consumer Sentiment Falls in Early March
- Is Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 in Andaman Sea?
- Vybz Kartel Convicted of Murder