Our news editors obtained a quote from the research, "However, proteins are often limited in their therapeutic potential by short local half-lives and insufficient bioavailability and bioactivity, and many academic laboratories studying cardiovascular diseases are more comfortable with molecular and cellular biology than with protein biochemistry. Protein engineering has been used broadly to overcome weaknesses traditionally associated with protein therapeutics and has the potential to specifically enhance the efficacy of molecules for cardiac repair. However, protein engineering as a strategy has not yet been used in the development of cardiovascular therapeutics to the degree that it has been used in other fields. In this review, we discuss the role of engineered proteins in cardiovascular therapies to date."
According to the news editors, the research concluded: "Further, we address the promise of applying emerging protein engineering technologies to cardiovascular medicine and the barriers that must be overcome to enable the ultimate success of this approach."
For more information on this research see: Protein Engineering for Cardiovascular Therapeutics Untapped Potential for Cardiac Repair.
The news editors report that additional information may be obtained by contacting
Keywords for this news article include: Biotechnology,
Our reports deliver fact-based news of research and discoveries from around the world. Copyright 2014, NewsRx LLC
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- FDIC Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Banks Allegedly Hurt by Libor Scandal
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- Chinese e-Commerce Giant Alibaba Gears for IPO in U.S.
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- Some California Cities Seeking Water Independence
- Will Missing Malaysian Jet Prompt Aviation System Change?