A misplaced cell phone has led to 14 Israeli air force pilots being disciplined after top secret information was found on their smart phones, officials say.
Two of the pilots were sentenced to five days in jail, while 11 received suspended sentences and one was fined, Times of Israeli reported Wednesday.
Military investigators said the phones were discovered to contain top secret information such as photographs of documents, maps and waypoints in violation of security protocols.
The investigation was begun after a pilot reported he had lost his cell phone and that it contained secret data. The phone was eventually found, but the incident triggered a broader probe that resulted in prosecution of the 14 pilots.
Military officials said the pilots did not appear to have to criminal intentions, but that they put the information on their phones as a way of carrying their work with them.
Most Popular Stories
- Dmytro Firtash, Ukrainian Billionaire, Arrested in Vienna
- Obama, Ukraine Discuss Russian Incursion in Crimea
- Obama's Overtime Initiative Praised, Condemned
- Republicans Warn Obama on Immigration
- Liberty Media Drops Sirius Bid
- West Readies Harsh Sanctions Against Russia
- Uli Hoeness, Bayern Munich President, Gets Prison for Tax Evasion
- Lady Gaga Roasts Self on Spit at SXSW
- Calumet Photo Files for Bankruptcy
- Drake Wins Big MTV's Woodie Awards at SXSW