1. Increased adoption of PPM for integrated portfolio management
The evolution and rapid uptake of SaaS PPM has increased coordination with ancillary IT management applications. ALM (Application Lifecycle Management), Agile and ITSM vendors have been leveraging PPM through alliances, integration, and/or acquisitions. This trend began to have an impact in 2011 and
2. More PMO heads will measure effectiveness on business results
While introducing tools, using methodologies, mapping project management practices, sending project managers to training, and increasing the number of professional PMs in the organization are important metrics for a PMO head to collect and report on, they do not speak to the effectiveness of the PMO from a business perspective. To judge business effectiveness, PMO heads will determine if their work has had a positive, quantifiable effect on the business in terms of troubled project reduction, correlation to achievement of key business results, lower project manager attrition, and faster time to market. In 2014 the practice of measuring the outputs, not the inputs, of project management will gain further traction.
3. Getting Started with PPM Benefits Realization
2014 will see a much-needed shift of PMOs from being highly tactical to more strategic. More formalized strategies will align departmental goals with the business objectives of the organization, consequently delivering end-to-end benefit.
4. Portfolio Management encourages project entrepreneurship
5. Rolling-Wave Planning (Agile)
Rolling-Wave Planning is the process of planning a project in phases as it proceeds, rather than completing a detailed plan for the entire project before it begins. Planning is dependent on speculation and the further out the plan the more quickly the strategy will become obsolete as conditions change. In Rolling-Wave Planning, one will plan over time as the details in the project become clearer. While this methodology has become standard in software development,
"In 2014, PPM will drive stronger engagement models between the business and the benefits it delivers," said
Keywords for this news article include: Software.
Our reports deliver fact-based news of research and discoveries from around the world. Copyright 2014, NewsRx LLC
Most Popular Stories
- Chobani Counters Competition With Expanded Lineup
- Reid: Bundy Backers Are 'Domestic Terrorists'
- Ex-BP Employee Settles Insider Trading Charges
- Venture Investments in U.S. Highest Since 2001
- Colo. Cleantech Program Calls for Entrepreneurs
- Hiring Fair for Veterans, Job Seekers
- Unemployment Rates Down, Job Gains Up in March
- Recordings Reveal a Not-So-Nice Martinez: Editorial
- VW Beetle Marks 65th Year in U.S.
- The Biebs Crashes Drake's Release Party