EPEAT (“Electronic Product Environmental Assessment Tool”) rates products on a lifecycle basis. The system addresses elimination of toxic substances, use of recycled and recyclable materials, product design for recycling, product longevity, energy efficiency, corporate performance and packaging. Manufacturers register their products in EPEAT on a country-by-country basis to ensure all product and service criteria are supported and verified for local markets.
“Indian industry and enterprise use ICT products to create new efficiencies and sustainability benefits,” said
Leveraging EPEAT, Indian purchasers will be able to “green” their purchasing and reward manufacturers for environmental initiative, as do the national governments of
“The ICT sector in
“India plays a vital role in the global technology market. We are very eager to collaborate with all Indian stakeholders to support EPEAT’s adoption as a key environmental purchasing benchmark,” said
To qualify for EPEAT, a product must meet 23 to 33 required environmental performance criteria depending on the product category. Products achieve higher EPEAT ratings by meeting up to 30 optional criteria. Rating criteria are developed in public stakeholder consensus processes involving broad representation from the environmental, purchasing, research, governmental and manufacturing sectors.
Over their lifetime, the 646 million EPEAT-registered electronics purchased globally since 2006 will deliver significant environmental benefits compared to products not meeting EPEAT criteria, including conserving more than 100 million megawatt hours of electricity, and eliminating 167,000 metric tons of solid waste and nearly 400,000 metric tons of hazardous waste.
Sarah O’Brien, 802-233-1478
Most Popular Stories
- Chobani Counters Competition With Expanded Lineup
- 'Beige Book' Federal Reserve Survey, April 2014: Full Text
- Jack White Records Songs, Releases Vinyl in Hours
- 420 Pot Holiday Tries To Go Mainstream
- Malaysia, Flight 370 Relatives Talk Financial Help
- GM Boosting China Production Capacity
- Automakers Turn to China to Fuel Sales Growth
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Delay in Ferry Evacuation Puzzles Maritime Experts
- Pope Francis, Huge Crowd Joyously Celebrate Easter