Feb. 04 -- Unum Corp. , matched its per-share earnings in the fourth quarter and met analysts' expectations after the Chattanooga -based insurer continued to buy back its stock last year. Unum said today it earned $221.2 million , or 84 cents per share, in the fourth quarter of 2013. A year earlier, Unum earned $233.9 million , or 84 cents per share, with more stock outstanding. "Overall, it was a very good quarter and yar for us, and you should all be proud of what you've accomplished," Unum CEO Tom Watjen said in a memo to Unum employees Tuesday. "Although profitably growing our buisness remains a challenge, I'm very encouraged by the sales momentum we built in the second half of the year." Watjen said the company repurchased $50 million of stock in the fourth quarter and $319 million of stock for the entire year. ___ (c)2014 the Chattanooga Times/Free Press (Chattanooga, Tenn.) Visit the Chattanooga Times/Free Press (Chattanooga, Tenn.) at www.timesfreepress.com Distributed by MCT Information Services
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- FDIC Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Banks Allegedly Hurt by Libor Scandal
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- Chinese e-Commerce Giant Alibaba Gears for IPO in U.S.
- Some California Cities Seeking Water Independence
- Will Missing Malaysian Jet Prompt Aviation System Change?