A man in Kebbi State at the weekend committed suicide over his inability to pay bride price for a second wife, Daily Trust gathered. The body of Abubakar Ahmed was found in Gantan Tudu, a village near Kaoje in Bagudo Local Government Area of the state. Chairman of Bagudo Local Government Area, Alhaji Bello Abdullahi Kaoje, while confirming the incident, said late Ahmed hanged himself because he was unable to raise money to pay the dowry for a second wife. "His body was discovered on Saturday night in Gantan Tudu village," the chairman said. Samaila Ardo, one of the deceased's neighbours, told Daily Trust that Ahmed approached them for a loan to pay the dowry, but his request was turned down because they felt he had no need for a second wife. "Even right now, his first wife is pregnant and may deliver anytime. We really do not know what got into his head to make him commit such an act, which is against Islam", he said.
Most Popular Stories
- Photo ID Required for Unemployment Benefits
- Software Writers Sought in Indiana
- Ukraine Crisis Limits Losses in Gold, Silver
- Can GOP Dodge Immigration Bullet?
- Tech Firms to Increase Hiring for 4th Year in a Row
- Job Fair for S.C. Grads
- How Past Mistakes Will Drive Ukraine's Future
- Chiquita, Fyffes to Form Top Banana
- Millennials Favor Saving Over Investing: UBS
- Big Earthquake Rumbles Northern California