TOKYO , Feb. 4 -- ( Kyodo ) _ (EDS: ADDING DETAILS) Sharp Corp. on Tuesday reported a group net profit of 17.72 billion yen for the nine months to Dec. 31 , a turnaround from a year-earlier loss of 424.35 billion yen and the first black ink in three years. The electronics maker posted an operating profit of 81.47 billion yen , against a year-before loss of 166.23 billion yen , as a result of cost-cutting measures. Sales grew 21.0 percent to 2.16 trillion yen . The turnaround was attributable to favorable solar battery sales in Japan , bolstered by a feed-in tariff program that encourages the use of renewable energy sources in power generation, Sharp said. The company also enjoyed an increase in liquid crystal display supplies to Chinese and South Korean manufacturers. For the full year ending March 31 , Sharp has raised its operating profit forecast to 100 billion yen from an earlier projection of 80 billion yen and sales estimate to 2.9 trillion yen from 2.7 trillion yen . Its net profit estimate remained unchanged at 5 billion yen .
Most Popular Stories
- Photo ID Required for Unemployment Benefits
- Software Writers Sought in Indiana
- Ukraine Crisis Limits Losses in Gold, Silver
- Can GOP Dodge Immigration Bullet?
- Tech Firms to Increase Hiring for 4th Year in a Row
- Job Fair for S.C. Grads
- How Past Mistakes Will Drive Ukraine's Future
- Chiquita, Fyffes to Form Top Banana
- Millennials Favor Saving Over Investing: UBS
- Big Earthquake Rumbles Northern California