ENP Newswire - 28 February 2014
Release date- 27022014 - TDS announces the ARRA broadband stimulus project is complete; high-speed Internet service now available to businesses and nearly 2,100 households, about 500 more households than initially projected.
TDS Telecom (TDS) announces its broadband Internet project in Kentucky - around Hyden - is now complete. The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) stimulus-funded project makes high-speed Internet accessible to more area residents and businesses. In fact, the project has enabled nearly 2,100 households, about 500 more than TDS projected in their application.
In late-November, TDS announced a portion of this Kentucky project was completed. TDS installed 94 miles of fiber optics cabling and 22 cabinets (which protect the advanced network electronics) throughout its Leslie County Telephone Company. Customers interested in signing up for services should call 888-CALL-TDS (888-225-5837).
This is one of 44 projects that TDS is receiving funding for from the United States Department of Agriculture's (USDA) Rural Utilities Service (RUS) as part of the ARRA. TDS projected the cost at just over $8.2 million. The RUS grant covered 75 percent of the cost and TDS invested the remaining 25 percent (just over $2 million) to expand broadband to more businesses and residents.
Nationwide, more than 95 percent of TDS customers already have access to high-speed Internet service. TDS is intent on providing as many remaining customers with broadband connectivity as possible. According to TDS, federal stimulus funds are helping to close the gap and deliver Internet connectivity to more than 27,000 customers.
TDS Telecom, the seventh largest local exchange telephone company in the U.S., is a wholly owned subsidiary of Telephone and Data Systems, Inc.TDS Telecom provides nearly one million customer connections to high-speed Internet, phone, and TV entertainment services to customers in more than a hundred rural, suburban, and metropolitan communities. TDS Telecom offers businesses the latest communications solutions, including: VoIP (managedIP Hosted) phone service, dedicated high-speed Internet and hosted-managed services. Visit tdstelecom.com or tdsbusiness.com.
TDS Telecom, headquartered in Madison, Wis., operates OneNeck IT Solutions LLC (oneneck.com) and TDS Baja Broadband LLC (bajabroadband.com). Combined, the company employs 3,400 people.
Telephone and Data Systems, Inc. [NYSE: TDS], a Fortune 500 company, provides wireless; cable and wireline broadband, TV and voice; and hosted and managed services to approximately six million customers nationwide through its subsidiaries TDS Telecom and U.S. Cellular. Founded in 1969 and headquartered in Chicago, Telephone and Data Systems employs 10,600 people. Visit teldta.com.
For background information and updates, visit www.tdstelecom.com/stimulus.
For more information, or a high-resolution map, contact: Cindy Tomlinson, Associate Manager-Public Relations / TDS Telecommunications Corp. / 608-664-4471 / email@example.com