The oil and gas industry has welcomed Minister for the Environment
Minister Hunt has endorsed making the
Previously, companies required equivalent approvals from two Federal Government bodies - NOPSEMA and the
APPEA Chief Executive
"By eliminating unnecessary duplication, this move will save taxpayers and industry millions of dollars without impairing environmental outcomes. It will reduce costs and delays for companies undertaking offshore exploration and production activities. But it will also reduce costs for regulatory agencies and taxpayers.
"This is an important early step in the federal government's move towards 'one-stop shops' for environmental approvals and for its deregulation agenda as a whole.
"Policies that undermine the development of energy projects and curtail energy production impose real costs on
"The oil and gas industry welcomes the bipartisan approach that the major parties have taken to this important issue."
Several independent reviews in recent years have recommended streamlining of processes, including the Productivity Commission Report on Mineral and Energy Resource Exploration, the Productivity Commission Report on Major Project Development Assessment Processes, and the Hawke Review.
CC AutoTriage1pm-140228-30TagarumaMar-4651429 30TagarumaMar
Most Popular Stories
- Dmytro Firtash, Ukrainian Billionaire, Arrested in Vienna
- Obama, Ukraine Discuss Russian Incursion in Crimea
- Calumet Photo Files for Bankruptcy
- Ukraine Loan Delayed While Congress Goes on Vacation
- Ukraine Moves Closer to Joining E.U.
- Venezuela Death Toll Reaches 28
- Federal Gov't Deficit Continues to Decline
- Russia Holds Large Military Drills in South
- Navarro Celebrates 2 Years of Vida Mia
- Herbalife Puts Off Meeting for Icahn Talks