Lego's full-year revenue advanced 10 percent with growth in all major markets outpacing competitors including
Sales rose to 25.38 billion Danish kroner (R50.2bn) last year, the maker of children's building block sets said. Net income increased 9 percent to
"In less than 10 years, we have more than quadrupled our revenue," chief executive
The sales advance compares with an increase of 1 percent to
It was a "major challenge" to stay top of mind for children seeking toys, and Lego competed with "very strong players", Knudstorp said.
"With the level of growth we have right now, we need to constantly think of expanding our facilities," he said.
The Danish toy maker's bricks are featured in The Lego Movie, which has led US ticket sales for three weekends since opening on
Under Knudstorp, the company sold its Legoland theme parks to
The global toy market declined slightly in value last year, according to Lego, which said it had achieved sales growth in all major markets.
Lego posted "single-digit" growth in the US,
The Star Wars line and its Duplo sets for toddlers were among Lego's best-selling products last year, the company said, which added that it sold 34 sets a second during the Christmas season.
The maker of plastic bricks forecast the global toy market would expand by "low single digits" in the future, and said it planned to outgrow the market and gain share.
Lego, whose name is derived from the Danish words for "play well", is controlled by the family of carpenter
Most Popular Stories
- Dmytro Firtash, Ukrainian Billionaire, Arrested in Vienna
- Obama, Ukraine Discuss Russian Incursion in Crimea
- Navarro Celebrates 2 Years of Vida Mia
- Federal Gov't Deficit Continues to Decline
- Ukraine Loan Delayed While Congress Goes on Vacation
- Herbalife Puts Off Meeting for Icahn Talks
- Ukraine Moves Closer to Joining E.U.
- Venezuela Death Toll Reaches 28
- Calumet Photo Files for Bankruptcy
- Russia Holds Large Military Drills in South