Mt. Gox, a
Net current liabilities at Mt. Gox total around
He said the exchange was illegally accessed in early February and bitcoins may have been withdrawn, adding the exchange has asked experts to carry forward procedures for filing a criminal complaint.
With concern growing over the bitcoin market, Japanese Finance Minister
"We do not clearly know what bitcoins are, so we have to start studying it," Aso said at a press conference.
Aso added there is a group in the ruling
On Thursday, Senior Vice Finance Minister Jiro Aichi said the government will consider whether to regulate bitcoins -- the virtual currency increasingly used as a means of online payment across the globe.
There are currently no laws in
Bitcoins have gained increasing attention among global investors since trading began around 2009, due in part to their ease of use in cross-border transactions.
Mt. Gox is one of the world's largest bitcoin exchanges. Six other major bitcoin exchanges worldwide have released a joint statement distancing themselves from the troubled operator in
Most Popular Stories
- Chinese May Have Spotted Malaysia Airlines Debris
- Why Buffett Bets Big on Green Energy
- 3 Shot Dead in Venezuela Unrest
- Banks Buying Little From Minority Firms: Study
- Better Pay Means Bigger Profits: Strategist
- Several Texas Cities Top Job Search List
- First-time Jobless Claims Drop Unexpectedly
- Senate Committee OKs Bill to Sanction Russia
- G7 Presses Russia to Pull Troops Out of Crimea
- Wall Street Rally Heads Off 3rd Day of Decline