Some 300,000 people across the county have already bought tickets to see "War Horse" Thursday night as Fathom Events, National Theatre Live and BY Experience team up for a special live broadcast of the show from
The show onstage at the
More than 300 movie theaters across America will show the broadcast, just the latest in a wave of theatrical shows that are being beamed to screens as producers seize on technological improvements and the public's eagerness to see shows from far away for a fraction of a theater ticket.
Harper admits he and the creative team worried about how the show would be received when the show first debuted in America. They needn't have bothered. "They responded in exactly the same way that audiences around the world have. It's a very emotional, theatrical piece of theater. It's like nothing else," Harper said.
Based on the best-selling 1982 children's novel by
"War Horse" has been seen by over 5 million people worldwide and is currently playing in
Hailed as a beautiful mash-up of life-sized puppetry and pathos, "War Horse" premiered at the
The astonishing success of the play still surprises Harper, who remembers looking for something that could play just 50 performances over the Christmas season at the
"It was not designed to be a money-making machine, at all. In fact, quite the reverse: It was deemed to be experimental," he added. After all, the central character doesn't talk and is portrayed by a puppet. "It sounds ridiculous but it came from a real place of passion."
A North American tour of "War Horse" kicked off in
Most Popular Stories
- Top Hispanic Tech Companies Push for the Top
- 5 Notable Hispanic Technology Executives
- FAA to Appeal Court Decision Allowing Commercial Drone Use
- Tesla's Alt-Energy Future Aims for Massive Lithium-Ion Battery Production
- Rand Paul Tops Presidential Straw Poll at Conservative PAC Conference
- California Establishes Center for Coffee Study
- Sunday Starts Daylight Saving Time
- New Chat App, Yik Yak, Causes Problems for Students
- Taco Bell Rings Up Breakfast Menu
- Gas Prices May Jump from Calif. Emissions Law