The Budget speech reinforced Investec's view that
Of the country's 52 million people, 633 151 taxpayers earned more than R500 000 a year. Another 16 million people received social welfare.
The number of people on social welfare was expected to rise to 16.5m in 2016/17, showing a stabilisation in numbers and costs.
"This should allay fears of fiscally unsustainable populist tendencies in government finances," Bishop said. - Sapa
Most Popular Stories
- Crimean Referendum Violates International Law: Obama
- House OKs $1 Billion for Ukraine
- BP Tripled CEO's Pay Despite Deepwater Horizon
- EU Breaks Off Talks With Russia
- Putin Gets Thumbs-up From Assad
- Where Are the World's Most Expensive Cities?
- Nakamoto 'No Longer Involved' in Bitcoin
- Florida Insurers Reach Out to Hispanics
- Cuba Accepts Invite for Talks With EU
- Disney Lays Off 700 From Interactive Unit