Not that the tutus stay grand, or even very clean, for long. Pita's Dream Within a Midsummer Night's Dream opens with the formal pomp and circumstance of a classical pas de six, danced to the dignified measures of Handel's Sarabande. But true to its Shakespearean origins, the work's leading couples are rapidly transported to a world of delirium by the mischievous magic of Puck. And true to Pita's own imaginative style, that world proves to be a rollercoaster of weirdness and surprise.
Puck is a girl in a boy scout's uniform, with a beard of flower petals sprouting from her chin. Helena and Hermia pair off together, as do Oberon and Lysander; while Titania and Bottom dance a lush duet to the lyrics of Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered. The soundtrack is excellent throughout - hot, sexy music played against a dark chaos of rainforest noise.
This is a delicious confection of a Dream, richly choreographed (in loving homage to
It's preceded by two other fine commissions.
This is repertory that any large company would be happy to own. And the heroic
Until 4 March. Box office: 020-7304 4000.
Most Popular Stories
- Dmytro Firtash, Ukrainian Billionaire, Arrested in Vienna
- Obama, Ukraine Discuss Russian Incursion in Crimea
- Obama's Overtime Initiative Praised, Condemned
- Republicans Warn Obama on Immigration
- Liberty Media Drops Sirius Bid
- Koch Brothers Step up Anti-Obamacare Campaign
- Calumet Photo Files for Bankruptcy
- FDIC Sues Big Banks Over Rate Manipulation
- Uli Hoeness, Bayern Munich President, Gets Prison for Tax Evasion
- West Readies Harsh Sanctions Against Russia