Facebook WhatsApp Voice Calling be a Winner? -->
As an industry analyst I have followed this space for decades. I have watched consolidation, changing regulation, new technology and new competitors change the space, time and time again.
This industry has changed and continues to change both rapidly and dramatically over the years. So can WhatsApp make a dent in this robust industry?
Bottom line, while
Telephone was a growth engine until around the year 2000. Then with new regulation, new competition and new technology from things like wireless and VoIP, plain old telephone service or POTS started to decline from all the major providers.
This was simply innovation at work. We see providers like AT&T (T) ,
Over the last ten to fifteen years, other companies have entered this voice space as well. Companies like
However where does WhatsApp fit into this new voice world? They are not a phone company. They have no experience with telephone or VoIP service. They will be competing with many companies who have plenty of brand recognition. So what kind of opportunity will they really have?
The plan is during the second quarter of this year, they will add a free voice-calling feature to its text-messaging app for both the iPhone and Android. Next will come Blackberry and Windows Phone if all works well.
They say this voice feature will be free and let people talk all over the
While it is impossible to say what the world will look like five or ten years from now, and while this all sounds good and may indeed be a growth platform for WhatsApp and
Today there are many competitors in this space. Some are doing very strong business while others are not, but the marketplace is bustling with competition. In that space what kind of impact can a new competitor have on the industry?
While this is a growth opportunity, it won't impact the industry.
So I would like to congratulate
While this may be a growth opportunity for
Most Popular Stories
- Top Hispanic Tech Companies Push for the Top
- 5 Notable Hispanic Technology Executives
- FAA to Appeal Court Decision Allowing Commercial Drone Use
- Tesla's Alt-Energy Future Aims for Massive Lithium-Ion Battery Production
- California Establishes Center for Coffee Study
- Social Media Can Help a Company's Credit Line
- Spotify Picking up Echo Nest
- Rand Paul Tops Presidential Straw Poll at Conservative PAC Conference
- Lawful Immigrants Defend Driver's Licenses
- Arriola Takes Charge at SoCalGas