News Column

HP Autonomy Introduces Healthcare Analytics Platform

February 28, 2014

HP Autonomy announced a new self-service analytics platform that gives healthcare providers a contextualized understanding of all forms of clinical data, including unstructured human information.

According to a release, HP Healthcare Analytics is powered by HP IDOL, HP Autonomy's pattern-matching engine, and was developed in collaboration with Stanford Children's Health and Lucile Packard Children's Hospital Stanford, a hospital focused in pediatric and obstetric medicine.

In addition, HP Autonomy noted:

HP Autonomy and Stanford Children's Health have partnered for more than a year to develop software that enables hospitals to more effectively extract information and knowledge from their structured and unstructured clinical data. The initial results have already yielded valuable insights, and have the potential to improve quality of care and reduce waste and inefficiency.

Though the core mission of the Information Services Analytics team at Lucile Packard Children's Hospital Stanford is to enable operational insights from structured clinical and administrative data, innovation projects are also a key strategic initiative of the group. Dr. Jonathan Palma, medical director of Analytics at Lucile Packard Children's Hospital Stanford, is leading the collaboration with HP as a part of these innovation efforts, which could prove to fundamentally transform healthcare delivery by making relevant clinical information more accessible to providers.

The healthcare industry faces the enormous challenges of reducing cost, increasing operational efficiency and elevating the quality of patient care. For example, miscoded conditions, missed diagnoses and ineffective population of health-management programs result in suboptimal healthcare outcomes and billions of dollars of unnecessary cost. In just a single year, it has been estimated that Medicare paid $47.9 billion of these unneeded costs.

Traditional healthcare information systems have fallen short in addressing these challenges. These systems primarily focus on structured data -- such as emergency room admission rates, bed occupancy and length of stay -- which represents only 10 percent of total healthcare information. The remaining 90 percent of healthcare data is unstructured, in the form of text in patient records, doctors' clinical notes, emails between doctors and patients, and laboratory results.

This information is often an untapped and misused resource for healthcare providers. The information is in free-text form, often lacks standard nomenclature, and lives in different, isolated information systems. Also, this information is often merely digitized and archived, depriving providers of the opportunity to mine the data to identify key patterns and potential misdiagnoses, and to detect early-stage symptoms.

HP Healthcare Analytics addresses these challenges by providing healthcare administrators, operations managers, physicians and quality-care specialists with an self-service view into their quantities of data. Based on HP IDOL, which recognizes concepts, ideas and patterns in all forms of data, HP Healthcare Analytics helps healthcare workers identify connections and trends in disparate data sources.

Healthcare workers can overcome the challenges inherent in human information, and will not be dependent or limited to myriad ways a doctor or patient may refer to a particular symptom, diagnosis or treatment plan.

This core capability has important implications. The platform provides healthcare workers with insights that reduce errors and unnecessary treatments, impact how delivery and treatment affects outcomes, and enable preventive measures that decrease the rate of avoidable diseases. The platform also helps to reduce costs by identifying and eliminating waste, streamlining workflow and elevating staff productivity by removing the skill barrier for accessing clinical intelligence.

HP Healthcare Analytics delivers an integrated set of core and healthcare industry-specific capabilities.

"Until now, healthcare providers primarily used traditional analytics tools focused on the structured data within their healthcare systems, failing to analyze up to 90 percent of their information," said Dr. Alan Stein, vice president, Healthcare Technology, HP Autonomy. "The HP Healthcare Analytics platform helps healthcare organizations unlock information in everything from clinical notes to laboratory results, giving professionals practical, actionable insights that can yield improved patient outcomes and reduced costs and risks."

HP Healthcare Analytics will be available this March.

HP Autonomy is a company focused on software that processes unstructured human information.

More Information:

((Comments on this story may be sent to

For more stories covering the world of technology, please see HispanicBusiness' Tech Channel

Source: Manufacturing Close - Up

Story Tools