The South African government will build 216 000 houses and connect 905 000 households to electricity over the next two years, Finance Minister
This is in addition to other housing schemes the state has embarked on in partnership with the private sector and public-private development institutions.
Delivering his fifth Budget speech in
Between 1994 and 2013, the government built over 2.7-million houses across
The National Development Plan (NDP) recommends that responsibility for housing shift to the country's municipalities in order to improve coordination. All metro municipalities have been directed to implement housing programmes.
The Human Settlements spending focus over the next two years will be on transferring grants to provinces and municipalities to fund the delivery of low-income housing, the purchase of land to upgrade informal settlements, and the upgrade of some informal settlements, Gordhan said.
The urban settlements development grant is expected to deliver more than 215 000 housing units and upgrade 92 000 services sites in informal settlements.
The integrated city development grant, which is being introduced in this year's Budget, will ensure that large, low-income communities on the urban edge are better connected to centres of economic and social activity through investments in public transport.
The Treasury says municipalities will receive the grants on condition that they produce built environment plans and that these plans support better coordination of investments and are aligned to national development plans.
Most Popular Stories
- Koch Brothers Step up Anti-Obamacare Campaign
- FDIC Accuses Big Banks of Fraud, Conspiracy
- Is Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 in Andaman Sea?
- Vybz Kartel Convicted of Murder
- Stocks Close Lower Ahead of Crimea Vote
- FDIC Sues Big Banks Over Rate Manipulation
- Ulta Shares Look Good on Strong Q4
- Jittery Investors Dumping Russian Stocks
- U.S. Consumer Sentiment Falls in Early March
- JLo Turns the Tables in New Vid: 'I Luh Ya Papi'