Our news journalists obtained a quote from the research from German Electron Synchrotron (DESY), "By addition of 10 mol% of NbF5 into Ca(BH4)(2)+MgH2, a decrease of the dehydrogenation onset temperature by similar to 120 K is observed. In order to understand the reasons behind this desorption temperature decrement two sets of samples [Ca(BH4)(2)+MgH2 and Ca(BH4)(2)+MgH2+0.1NbF(5)] in different hydrogenation states, were prepared. The structural investigation of the above mentioned sets of samples by means of volumetric measurements, anomalous small-angle X-ray scattering (ASAXS) and X-ray absorption spectroscopy (XAS) is reported here. The XAS results show that after the milling procedure NbB2 is formed and remains stable upon further de/rehydrogenation cycling. The results of Nb ASAXS point to nanometric spherical NbB2 particles distributed in the hydride matrix, with a mean diameter of similar to 10 nm. Results from Ca ASAXS indicate Cacontaining nanostructures in the Ca-RHC+ 0.1NbF(5) samples to be similar to 50% finer compared to those without additive."
According to the news editors, the research concluded: "Thus, a higher reaction surface area and shorter diffusion paths for the constituents are concluded to be important contributions to the catalytic effect of an NbF5 additive on the hydrogen sorption kinetics of the Ca(BH4)(2)+MgH2 composite system."
For more information on this research see: Structural analysis of calcium reactive hydride composite for solid state hydrogen storage.
The news correspondents report that additional information may be obtained from F. Karimi, DESY, HASYLAB, D-22603
Keywords for this news article include: Gases,
Our reports deliver fact-based news of research and discoveries from around the world. Copyright 2014, NewsRx LLC
Most Popular Stories
- Koch Brothers Step up Anti-Obamacare Campaign
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- Quiznos Files for Chapter 11
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- Vybz Kartel Convicted of Murder
- FDIC Sues Big Banks Over Rate Manipulation
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- U.S. Consumer Sentiment Falls in Early March