E.L. James' 50 Shades trilogy has sold more than 100 million copies worldwide, with nearly half of those sold in the U.S.
The controversial erotic series was developed from a Twilight fan fiction series James wrote and originally titled Master of the Universe. The fan fiction piece featured characters named after Twilight characters, and James renamed the characters and reworked the series into the 50 Shades trilogy picked up by Random House imprint Vintage Books.
50 Shades focuses on the relationship between Anastasia Steele, a 21-year-old college student, and her eventual boss, 27-year-old entrepreneur Christian Grey. The relationship becomes highly sexual in nature, and the series caused waves with its depictions of BDSM between the pair.
The first book, 50 Shades of Grey, has already been adapted for film despite the trilogy's controversial subject matter. The film, directed by Sam Taylor-Johnson, will star relative unknowns Dakota Johnson as Steele, and Jamie Dornan as Grey.
Filming for the movie came to a close last week in Vancouver. Author E L James was seen to tweet, "And that's a wrap," signifying that production on the film has ended.
And that's a wrap...— E L James (@E_L_James) February 22, 2014
The film will premiere next February in 2015.
Copyright 2014 United Press International, Inc. (UPI). Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Original headline: '50 Shades of Grey' passes 100 million sales milestone days after first ...
Most Popular Stories
- Dmytro Firtash, Ukrainian Billionaire, Arrested in Vienna
- Obama, Ukraine Discuss Russian Incursion in Crimea
- Republicans Warn Obama on Immigration
- Obama's Overtime Initiative Praised, Condemned
- Liberty Media Drops Sirius Bid
- West Readies Harsh Sanctions Against Russia
- Calumet Photo Files for Bankruptcy
- Lady Gaga Roasts Self on Spit at SXSW
- Drake Wins Big MTV's Woodie Awards at SXSW
- Uli Hoeness, Bayern Munich President, Gets Prison for Tax Evasion