Thirty years ago, no merchant could have envisioned the day when buyers would be able to shop for their merchandise anytime, from anywhere around the globe, using nothing more than a handheld device.
Our mobile devices have offered us the freedom to communicate, share and explore our world like never before. Now, increasingly, they're giving us the option to shop, dine, and travel with the utmost convenience through the use of mobile payment options.
Through the use of mobile payment options, Africans now have the ability to pay utility bills, transfer money, and pay for goods and services with the touch of a button or the swipe of a card, either at the point of sale, or from anywhere they happen to be at the moment.
The advent of mobile banking has forever changed the landscape of the East African market in particular. As millions now find it easier to hold a bank account, and merchants are able to better serve their clients by accepting payments through mobile phones, while avoiding expensive POS systems that are cost prohibitive for small businesses, unprecedented growth has taken hold.
There are a number of mobile payment options in
- Airtel Money
A subsidiary of
- Tigo Pesa
Tigo is one of
Zantel, one of
Where there are mobile payment options, there are companies who facilitate the mobile payment process. Local and international providers are competing on who will penetrate faster the
Currently very few complete mobile payments app solutions can be downloaded. Most of the market still relies on old tech. Whoever manages to supply a solution that will allow merchants to set up a client database, accept payments (including email payments), provide receipts, and view detailed reports, will rule.
An extra feature that may succeed well in
All rights reserved.
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- Quiznos Files for Chapter 11
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- Is Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 in Andaman Sea?
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- Vybz Kartel Convicted of Murder