"The addition of the supercomputer allows NSU to join an elite group of universities with this type of research computing power," said NSU President
Classified as an institution with "high research activity" by the
"This IBM Supercomputer will allow researchers to analyze increasing amounts of data generated by experiments in weeks or months, rather than the years required by conventional computers," said
The machine cluster is a collection of 32 nodes with each node having 16 POWER CPU's with 256 GB of RAM. Each CPU has two processor units that can run two threads each. Each core is capable of two-way simultaneous multithreading. Each CPU has approximately 790 million transistors. Each core has two integer units, two binary floating-point units, an AltiVec unit, and a novel decimal floating-point unit. It also has hardware support for IEEE 754 decimal arithmetic and includes the first decimal floating-point unit integrated in silicon. The machine is water-cooled using internal chilled plates and a rear cooling door on each rack.
The software stack consists of AIX, General Parallel File System (GPFS), C++, Fortran, IBM Parallel Environment Runtime (PE),
In keeping with the university's mascot theme, the Sharks, the IBM Supercomputer has been nicknamed "Megalodon" the largest prehistoric shark known to man. Megalodon is currently housed within
For more information on NSU's supercomputer, visit http://scis.nova.edu/megalodon.html.
For more information on
TNS 18DejucosGrace-140227-30FurigayJane-4649863 30FurigayJane
Most Popular Stories
- Chobani Counters Competition With Expanded Lineup
- Reid: Bundy Backers Are 'Domestic Terrorists'
- Ex-BP Employee Settles Insider Trading Charges
- Venture Investments in U.S. Highest Since 2001
- Colo. Cleantech Program Calls for Entrepreneurs
- Unemployment Rates Down, Job Gains Up in March
- Hiring Fair for Veterans, Job Seekers
- Recordings Reveal a Not-So-Nice Martinez: Editorial
- VW Beetle Marks 65th Year in U.S.
- The Biebs Crashes Drake's Release Party