The Kwara Government on Wednesday said it would disburse N214 million loan to farmers to boost agricultural activities in the state.
The Commissioner for Agriculture and Natural Resources, Mr Anthony Towoju, said the disbursement of the loan to 172 farmers, through a commercial bank, had been concluded.
Towoju said the money would assist the farmers to cultivate 2,580 hectares of rice, maize, soya beans and cassava in the state.
The commissioner reiterated the determination of the government to transform the agricultural sector.
He said the state government would continue to provide enabling environment for farmers to ensure food security and to promote commercial agriculture.
He also appealed to the youth to embrace agriculture as a noble profession, where their economic needs could be sustained. (NAN)
Most Popular Stories
- Obama, Ukraine Discuss Russian Incursion in Crimea
- Chinese May Have Spotted Malaysia Airlines Debris
- Social Media Causee Sleep Deprivation in Students
- First-time Jobless Claims Drop Unexpectedly
- Banks Buying Little From Minority Firms: Study
- General Electric Plans IPO of Credit Card Unit
- 'Candy Crush' Maker Files IPO
- SXSW Crash Kills 2, Injures 23
- First-time U.S. Jobless Claims Hit 3-month Low
- U.S. Business Inventories Up, Retail Sales Down