West Virginia State Treasurer
The SMART529 College Savings Program was established 11 years ago under Treasurer Perdue's leadership. Currently, SMART529 has more than 120,000 account owners.
"Based on today's rates, the average cost of college is more than
The announcement occurred in conjunction with Higher Education Day at the
"My parents started my SMART529 account when I was in elementary school," Bumgardner said. "It has been incredibly useful to me and I'm sure it has helped many other college students just as much if not more. I'm very grateful to my parents for having the foresight to become involved in the program while I was younger and I'm also grateful to Treasurer Perdue for having started the program."
A week before the announcement, the SMART529 WV Direct College Savings Plan was listed on
A SMART529 account may be used for higher education expenses at most colleges, universities, vocational, technical and trade schools around the nation. There are also state and federal tax incentives.
SMART529 is a qualified tuition program issued by the West Virginia Prepaid College Tuition and Savings Program Board of Trustees and administered by Hartford Life.
SMART529 refers to
CC AutoTriage13cn-140225-30TagarumaMar-4646937 30TagarumaMar
Most Popular Stories
- Major Phone Makers Sign Anti-Phone-Theft Pledge
- India Recognizes Transgender People as 'Third Gender'
- 'Beige Book' Federal Reserve Survey, April 2014: Full Text
- Brands Get Caught in Bitter-Tweet Traps
- Yellen Remarks, Market Data Give Stocks a Boost
- Michael Bloomberg Takes Aim at the NRA
- U.S. Job Market Still Needs Fed Stimulus: Yellen
- Dems in Energy States Back Away From Obama
- Is This Job Too Good to Be True?
- Man Arrested After Driving Stolen Car to Court Hearing