West Virginia State Treasurer
The SMART529 College Savings Program was established 11 years ago under Treasurer Perdue's leadership. Currently, SMART529 has more than 120,000 account owners.
"Based on today's rates, the average cost of college is more than
The announcement occurred in conjunction with Higher Education Day at the
"My parents started my SMART529 account when I was in elementary school," Bumgardner said. "It has been incredibly useful to me and I'm sure it has helped many other college students just as much if not more. I'm very grateful to my parents for having the foresight to become involved in the program while I was younger and I'm also grateful to Treasurer Perdue for having started the program."
A week before the announcement, the SMART529 WV Direct College Savings Plan was listed on
A SMART529 account may be used for higher education expenses at most colleges, universities, vocational, technical and trade schools around the nation. There are also state and federal tax incentives.
SMART529 is a qualified tuition program issued by the West Virginia Prepaid College Tuition and Savings Program Board of Trustees and administered by Hartford Life.
SMART529 refers to
CC AutoTriage13cn-140225-30TagarumaMar-4646937 30TagarumaMar
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- Quiznos Files for Chapter 11
- Vybz Kartel Convicted of Murder
- U.S. Consumer Sentiment Falls in Early March
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- Is Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 in Andaman Sea?
- Koch Brothers Step up Anti-Obamacare Campaign