The 5.1-inch device was unveiled on Monday at the
"It is a very good product with good customer-oriented features. The
He said the price is expected to be the same as Galaxy S4 at Dh2,700 but has not been finalised.
The device is powered by 2.5GHz quad-core processor with 2GB of RAM and runs on the latest version of Android KitKat.
The S5 has a 16MP camera, pedometer, built-in heart rate monitor and a sensor to scan fingerprints on the home key button.
Samsung has added water and dust proofing in S5 and capability of withstanding one metre under water for 30 minutes and that was the differentiator for
Babani also said that the two smartwatches — Galaxy Gear2 and Gear Fit — are expected to arrive in the
"Samsung has added new features into the smartwatch. The Fit has a curved screen but no option to make calls. It can notify things like emails and calls and both the smartwatches can monitor heart rates.
"Samsung is underselling the Gear Fit, by not calling it a smart watch. The Gear Fit is really a smartwatch in the form factor of a fitness band; it has the ability to show smartphone notifications. It has an outstanding screen and neat design. It has all the useful smartphone features: media control, smartphone notifications, tells time as well as heart rate. It's also in a much slimmer package than the Gear 2," said
He said Samsung's growing range of smart wearables follows its smartphone portfolio strategy: varied features, prices, form factors. Gear Fit is one of the first devices to justify a curved screen and syncs to 20 Galaxy smartphones.
"Rivals better move fast. Samsung is using its smartphone market dominance to try to establish leadership in wearables," Fogg said.
Samsung shipped just under 300 million smartphones last year and research firm IHS predicts this will grow by 26 per cent in 2014.
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- FDIC Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Banks Allegedly Hurt by Libor Scandal
- Some California Cities Seeking Water Independence
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- Chinese e-Commerce Giant Alibaba Gears for IPO in U.S.
- Will Missing Malaysian Jet Prompt Aviation System Change?
- GM Recall Poses First Major Test for New CEO
- Obama Seeks to Stay Neutral in CIA-Senate Conflict