A new graduate program offered by
The new Professional Master's Program in Big Data, a first of its kind in
"With the explosion of data being collected in all areas of our society, from the Internet, social networking sites, retailers, scientific experiments, and the biomedical field, there is already a large demand for skilled data scientists," says
Big data refers to sets of data that are too large to be captured, stored and analyzed by typical database software tools. A dataset may range in size from a few dozen to a few thousand terabytes.
Designed for students with some programming experience, the program will focus on:
* systems for storing and managing large amounts of data;
* algorithms, or rules, for processing data;
* data mining to extract patterns;
* machine learning to improve analysis;
* visualization to present information to users for decision-making.
Students will gain relevant work experience in industry or academia through co-op opportunities.
"SFU's program will develop highly trained computing scientists, with the well-rounded knowledge that could apply to any sector dealing with big data," says
"Over the past few years I've seen the need for thousands of qualified people to fill jobs in the area of big data.
SFU student and PhD candidate
The researchers developed algorithms to pinpoint events, such as marriage proposals and birthday parties, by extracting features from within videos, such as colours, shapes of images and motion patterns. Their work involved collaboration with two companies and other universities.
"Over three years, I've worked on real-world solutions for companies that want to analyze videos," said Vahdat. "I have to combine simple solutions to scale the analysis from small volumes of videos to large volumes and think of new ideas to improve the accuracy while maintaining the efficiency of the analysis."
SFU Computing Science faculty members with big data expertise
For more information, visit www.sfu.ca/computing/BigData.html.
CC AutoTriage1pm-140225-30TagarumaMar-4646341 30TagarumaMar
Most Popular Stories
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- FDIC Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Banks Allegedly Hurt by Libor Scandal
- Some California Cities Seeking Water Independence
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- Jack Daniel's Resists Changes to Tenn. Whiskey Law
- Chinese e-Commerce Giant Alibaba Gears for IPO in U.S.
- Crimea Seeks Financial Integration With Russia
- E.U. Puts Sanctions on Russia, Ukraine Officials
- Will Missing Malaysian Jet Prompt Aviation System Change?
- Chile Shaken by Major Aftershock