A woman in
Liu felt her right eye had been ”veiled“ since last week. Liu habitually plays with her smartphone for two to three hours each day in the dark, Xinhua reported.
”When the doctor covered my left eye, everything I saw with my right was distorted. Rectangular objects become elliptical,“ she said.
The doctor who treated Liu said she suffered a partial retinal detachment and blamed using her smartphone in the dark for the trouble.
Retina detachment can lead to blindness, and ophthalmologists are seeing a growing number of patients suffering from the condition after staring at the screens of computers and handsets for too long.
A man in China’s
In a country increasingly obsessed with staying wired, health professionals have long called for self-restraint and proper protection by smartphone and tablet users.
Most Popular Stories
- #myNYPD Twitter Campaign Backfires for NYPD
- First-time Jobless Claims Jump by 24,000
- Justin Bieber's War Shrine Pic Causes Flap
- Wellness Programs Grow More Popular With Employers
- First Lady Announces Job Site for Veterans
- Putin Says Internet Is CIA Plot
- Tesla Expanding Its California Operations
- Google, SunPower Team Up on Solar Power
- Retirement: Why $1 Million Won't Be Enough
- Boeing Flying High With Strong First Quarter