At least 1.2 million metric tonnes of maize are expected to be harvested in
Both last year and this year's maize yields fall short of the national requirement of 2,1 million metric tonnes.
It quoted ZCFU president, Wonder Cha-bikwa saying significant harvests are also expected in the usually dry parts of the country such as Masvingo and Matabeleland South provinces.
According to him, the volume of food and commercial crop harvests for the year will increase.
He said tobacco was already being auctioned while cotton is set for a good harvest in dry lands of Chiredzi,
Since sanctions over a controversial land redistribution policy, a former breadbasket
Most Popular Stories
- Dmytro Firtash, Ukrainian Billionaire, Arrested in Vienna
- Obama, Ukraine Discuss Russian Incursion in Crimea
- Obama's Overtime Initiative Praised, Condemned
- Koch Brothers Step up Anti-Obamacare Campaign
- Republicans Warn Obama on Immigration
- Liberty Media Drops Sirius Bid
- FDIC Sues Big Banks Over Rate Manipulation
- Uli Hoeness, Bayern Munich President, Gets Prison for Tax Evasion
- Calumet Photo Files for Bankruptcy
- West Readies Harsh Sanctions Against Russia