At least 1.2 million metric tonnes of maize are expected to be harvested in
Both last year and this year's maize yields fall short of the national requirement of 2,1 million metric tonnes.
It quoted ZCFU president, Wonder Cha-bikwa saying significant harvests are also expected in the usually dry parts of the country such as Masvingo and Matabeleland South provinces.
According to him, the volume of food and commercial crop harvests for the year will increase.
He said tobacco was already being auctioned while cotton is set for a good harvest in dry lands of Chiredzi,
Since sanctions over a controversial land redistribution policy, a former breadbasket
Most Popular Stories
- Chobani Counters Competition With Expanded Lineup
- Pope Francis, Huge Crowd Joyously Celebrate Easter
- Automakers Turn to China to Fuel Sales Growth
- GOP Making Bold Play for Oregon Senate Seat
- GM Boosting China Production Capacity
- Confusion, Anger as Sunken Ferry's Relatives Wait
- Ohio Couple Married 70 Years, Die 15 Hours Apart
- Report: Iran VP Says Row Over Reactor Resolved
- NASA's Space Station Robonaut Finally Getting Legs
- Iran Denounces U.S. Ruling to Sell Property