Negocios Now will produce its first "Who's Who in Hispanic Chicago" special edition and throw a June gala event to celebrate the Hispanic community's success in the Chicago area, the publishing company announced over the weekend.
Candidates will come from the business, nonprofit, media, education, government, corporate and entertainment arenas, and will be nominated by community members. Nominations can be made on the Negocios Now website. Deadline for submissions is March 31.
The gala will be held June 20 at the Chicago Cultural Center during the presentation of the "Who's Who" special edition.
Illinois is home to 70,000 Hispanic enterprises that together contribute an estimated $15 billion to the Chicagoland economy, according to a recent report by DePaul University and the Illinois Hispanic Chamber of Commerce.
"The Hispanic community in Chicago works very hard and deserves to be recognized," Clemente Nicado, publisher of Negocios Now, said in a news release.
"Chicago is home to a vibrant and dynamic Latino community that has strengthened our culture for generations through entrepreneurship, civic involvement and the arts," Mayor Rahm Emanuel said.
Javier Palomarez, U.S. Hispanic Chamber of Commerce president and CEO, said: "The USHCC is proud of visionary leaders like Clemente Nicado who have been strong advocates of Chicago's small-business community and continue to mainstream the story of the Hispanic entrepreneur."
The Who's Who is "an excellent idea that will help promote businesses not only in Chicago but also in the suburbs," said Juventino Cano, owner of Cano Container. His custom corrugated packaging company has sales of more than $20 million.
Negocios Now focuses on Hispanic enterprises and entrepreneurs in the Midwest's Hispanic community.
Most Popular Stories
- Scholarships Offered for Hispanic Heritage Month
- Latin America Seeks Ways to Add Value to China Exports
- Hurdles for Obama Health Law in Second Enrollment Season
- Boeing Succeeds in Early Wooing of China Airline Startups
- IS Releases New Beheading Video
- Hope Solo Sets Shutout Record in US Rout of Mexico
- Steve Ballmer Files Six-Figure Counterclaim vs. Steve Gordon
- Etsy Says 'No' to Redskins Logo, Name
- Detroit Bankruptcy: Pivotal Progress in Trial's Second Week
- Sneak Peek: A Roundup of 2015 New Models