Rwandans were advised by the Minister of Finance and Economic planning Amb. Claver Gatete to invest in the
The bond's maturity period is three years and was issued last week.
Speaking during a news conference at the Ministry headquarters in Kigali Amb. Gatete said the issuance of the bond was aimed at reviving the bond market. He said every Rwandan was entitled to investing in the future development of the country.
Top representatives from the
"This is a time for Rwandans to invest in a more productive venture which is still aimed at developing their country since such funds will be used to promoting infrastructure projects plus capital markets development," he said.
Gatete said in 2008, the
"The Rwandan government aimed at making the treasury security period longer and again attracting more long term savings for the Rwandan people," he said.
He said in the 2008- 2011 period, the government issued Treasury bonds of Rwf31 billion which it was able to pay back and is now remaining with Rwf8.5 billion to be paid.
Gatete said currently the bond market could be described as small and inactive at both secondary and primary levels, because of the success of the Rwanda Eurobond of
The money helped pay off Rwandair debt, construct parts of the Kigali Conventiona Center and the 28MW Nyabarongo hydro power plant.
Most Popular Stories
- Koch Brothers Step up Anti-Obamacare Campaign
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- Quiznos Files for Chapter 11
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- Vybz Kartel Convicted of Murder
- FDIC Sues Big Banks Over Rate Manipulation
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- U.S. Consumer Sentiment Falls in Early March