Banks to announce earnings this week
The S&P/TSX composite index dipped 4.65 points to close Friday at 14,205.75, ending a winning streak at 12 straight sessions.
The Bank of Montreal follows on Tuesday,
Elsewhere on the corporate front, BlackBerry Ltd says it will make its BBM text messaging system available to two more types of smartphones, those running the Windows operating system and the Nokia X platform.
The company has already made BlackBerry Messenger available to Apple iPhones and Android devices. BlackBerry has been expanding the reach of BBM as a way to maintain loyal client organizations.
The Canadian dollar nicked ahead
Markets were looking steady heading into the new trading week as investors shrug off weakness in
Ahead of the opening bell, futures for the Dow Jones Industrials added 11 points, or 0.1%, to 16,104. Futures for the S&P 500 gained 4.9 points, or 0.3%, to 1,839.20, and futures for the NASDAQ tacked on nine points, or 0.3%, at 3,673.50
There's little economic or corporate news on the docket Monday.
Investors may have to wait for U.S. Federal Reserve Chair
U.S. investors may also be feeling optimistic after the G20 -- the world's 19 richest nations and the
In the corporate world, Comcast said Sunday that it will allow Netflix to connect directly to its broadband network, allowing for faster streaming.
Shares in HSBC were declining in
Shares in Groupon look set for a small recovery after taking a 22% dive Friday. Shareholders pressed the sell button last week after the company warned it was expecting to report a loss in the first quarter.
On the earnings front, Solar City and Live Nation will report after the closing bell.
After starting the day on the back foot, European markets were mixed. The
Most Asian markets moved lower Monday, with the Shanghai Composite leading the losers with a 1.8% drop.
Oil prices backed off
Gold prices hiked
Most Popular Stories
- Chinese e-Commerce Giant Alibaba Gears for IPO in U.S.
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- FDIC Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Banks Allegedly Hurt by Libor Scandal
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- Some California Cities Seeking Water Independence
- Will Missing Malaysian Jet Prompt Aviation System Change?
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- Quiznos Files for Chapter 11
- Obama Seeks to Stay Neutral in CIA-Senate Conflict
- President Obama Touts Overhaul of Overtime Rules